What does SQL Server 2005 EOL mean for clients?
SQL Server 2005 is approaching the end of its support on April 12, 2016. With the end of support come the following risks:
- No further security updates and the potential for business interruptions.
- Higher maintenance costs: legacy servers, firewalls, intrusion systems, etc. can get expensive quickly.
- Compliance Concerns: no support will likely lead to failing to meet regulatory standards compliance.
What are the benefits for the resellers?
Moving to a newer database management system is not just a maintenance task, but an opportunity to derive new business value.
Microsoft recommends customers:
- Upgrade to the latest version of the software, SQL Server 2014.
- Migrate their database to its cloud-hosted Azure SQL Database service.
- Or run the new platform as a hybrid of the two.
- Either of which would offer a substantial increase in performance as well as new capabilities for hardware and IAAS opportunities.
- The upgrade service will also jump start your Cloud services business and offer the opportunity to generate repeatable revenue.
Our Microsoft SQL Server Consultants will carry out the following:
- Discover Categorise applications and workloads by reviewing the current environment.
- Target Identify destinations, which may include on-premises SQL Server 2014 machines, Azure VM's and Azure SQL databases.
- Upgrade Recommend how to make the move with the least disruption possible to end users.
The output will be a report detailing an assessment of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and a description and roadmap of subsequent upgrade options.
- Single instance of SQL Server (non-clustered or two node cluster) - 2 days
- Multiple SQL Server instances (non-clustered or two node cluster) - 2 days plus 0.5 days per each additional instance
By carrying out the SQL Server 2005 EOL service resellers are provided with an indicative costs, risk and impact analysis to provide to their client which will enable those clients to quickly move to the actual migration planning and deployment phases.
This service scales to thousands of servers and is design to accelerate projects to reach the point of migration as quickly as possible.